Monday, January 20, 2014

Watercolour Butterfly


Welcome to MDS Monday, where today we are working with Tami's sketch and playing with your choice of MDS Watercolour options.

This card certainly evolved over time.  I began trying to create a flower with a collection of watercolour brush strokes overlapping in a circle.  It worked out okay, but I wasn't that thrilled with it in the end.  I then decided to stay more true to Tami's sketch and laid down the large watercolour wash from "Beautiful Today".  I walked away from it for a while, came back to the computer and by accident discovered what a coloured wash looked like on a coloured background.  I think you'd be hard pressed to get this effect in real life.
I decided that a white Swallowtail would be the best addition.
Accidents can be a good thing - and easy to deal with on MDS because there is no wasted paper.

So, here is Tami's sketch and I hope you give one of the watercolour options a try.  Be sure you link your creation back to the MDS Monday blog so we can take a peak.


Have fun, and thanks for dropping by.
Joan

5 comments:

Steve Finnell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tami Hewlett said...

Joan, your card is gorgeous!!! I never would have thought to add an orange wash over a purple background, but it turned out AMAZING! And, it ties in so well with the strip of paper on the far left. I love the butterfly too. This is so, so pretty.

Tara Bourgoin said...

I just love that butterfly, Joan! The colours you've used are great - I love the yellow over-layed on the purple.

beth rush said...

So pretty Joan. A few years back I did a bleaching technique card using a butterfly stamped in bleach onto concord crush, and the butterfly turned yellow. your card reminded me of that. Fun!

Heidi Baks said...

Beautiful Joan! I love the different colors you used in your background. Beth's right... could just as well be bleaching.