Friday, April 24, 2020

How Do I Use This? - Sponge Daubers

 This week's "How Do I Use This?" was all about sponge daubers.  A simple tool that most everyone knows how to use.  I was just hoping to give at least one new idea to people who tuned in the my Facebook Live on Wednesday.

For my first technique card, I sponged ink around the edges of the tag.  This is the most common way of using sponge daubers.  I layered two colours - Petal Pink and Flirty Flamingo.  The stamp set I used, Colorful Seasons, is going to be retiring at the end of May.

 The next technique was to sponge ink onto vellum.  I used Blackberry Bliss, which is a dark purple ink.  But by sponging it on vellum you end up with a lighter shade and the flowers coordinate with the ones on the DSP.  You do need to be careful to use circular motions when adding the ink...you don't want to end up with a "daub" on ink on your image.

Adding ink to a stamp was the third technique.  I sponged Old Olive onto the big tree from the Rooted in Nature set.  To create shading in the leaves I sponged some Mossy Meadow over top of the Old Olive.   I huffed on the stamp and then stamped on the cardstock.




 Colouring in an image is another way to use sponge daubers, although they are difficult for small spaces.  I began colouring this hibiscus by using Grapefruit Grove and colouring from the edges of the flower down toward the middle.  Next, I took Real Red and coloured from the centre of the flower out toward the edges.  I was trying to duplicate the flowers which were on the DSP.

 I used one of our Pattern Party Decorative Masks for my fifth technique.  I wasn't concerned about covering the whole piece of cardstock or with having some of the spaces darker/lighter than others.  It was just to provide a background for the flourish.  Flourishing Phrases is another stamp set, along with its' dies, that will be retiring this year.

Finally, I simply used the sponge dauber as a stamp itself.  I like how the sponge creates fuzzy little circles.

That's it for sharing today.  I'd love to have you join me on Wednesday nights at 7:00pm MT for "How do I Use This?".  I think once I end up running out of products to demonstrate, I will turn it into a technique class.  You can find me at JJ Creations on Facebook.

Hope you are surviving the wind in this spring weather.
Thanks for stopping by,
Joan

No comments: