Saturday, August 23, 2014

Bokeh Mashup!

Yay - I learned a new technique!  This week's Friday Mashup was to use a die cut of some sort and the Bokeh Technique.  It was supper easy and I've even created a background in one of my arting journals - all ready for a mandala.

I created two cards for this challenge only because when I finished the first one I realized I'd forgotten to use a die cut - and I always try to do both of the mashups!  It was just as well, anyway, because I didn't let my greeting dry and ended up creating some "shadows" when I was adding the circles.  That's why my greeting is on a label rather than the technique piece.  I like how both cards turned out, and will be using  bokeh for one of my techniques this fall.


In the process of creating the cards, I ended up creating my own circle stencil using the circle thinlit dies….



The "base" of the bokeh technique is a watercolour background.  Cut a piece of watercolour slightly bigger than you want for your card, coat it completely with water and, using an aqua painter and re-inkers, drop your desired colours onto the watered paper.  Gently brush the colours around until you get the effect you want, and let it dry.




Here is the background I created in my art journal - you can see the different layers of circles a bit better - and the smallest, darkest circles are just the sponge dauber - daubed!


I hope this all makes sense - the video that Friday Mashup has provided - and I linked to above - is very helpful.

Have fun! - That's the important thing!
Joan




4 comments:

Tamara Bertram said...

Love it Joan! … and thank you for my Sept Technique … you rock!!

Lisa said...

You rocked it Joan, your cards came out perfectly! Glad you liked the technique!

Thanks for playing along with us at The Friday Mashup!

Simply Sara Stampin' said...

Both of your cards look great, Joan! Looks like you managed to figure out this technique no problem. :) Thanks for joining us at the Friday Mashup.
Sara

Cindy Brumbaugh said...

Very nice tutorial, Joan. I took some pics as I did my technique but never got as far as the tutorial yet! Beautiful cards- love the colors you used for each one. The bold die cuts really pop. TFS with us at the Friday Mashup this week:)