Sunday, January 31, 2010

Virtual Stamp Night - Let the Games Begin

Well, I spent Saturday Night on Splitcoast Stampers doing their Mini Virtual Stamp Night with the theme having to do with the upcoming Olympics. I hadn't done a VSN since spring of last year - it felt good to have the juices forced to create something in less than an hour for each challenge.

The first card, with the Maple Leaves, had to do with the parade at the Opening Ceremonies. We were to pick our favorite flag colours and create a card - well - I had to pick Canada just 'cause! To add a bit of zip though I created a small Olympic Inukshuk.
The second challenge was to "Chill Out" and to create something with a bit of ice or snow on it - using "flower soft" for snow or clear embossing powder. I don't have any flower soft - so I used the clear embossing powder on the little ice rink and then added liquid applique around the edges where Little Teddy has had to shovel off the snow. I cut her leg so that I could angle it into an arabesque - which she is executing without the aid of actual skates!

The Red Mittens which the Olympic Torch Runners are
wearing - and which have been available for purchase - was the theme of the third challenge. I remembered making this mitten for a workshop years ago, so dug out my sample and re-did it in red with a white embossed Maple Leaf. I tucked in a package of hot chocolate because the original project had been used as a "treat" bag of sorts.




Challenge #4 was to use the Chalkboard Technique - it's a two step technique in honor of the Olympic Biatholon. Here is a link to a fabulous tutorial by Beate Jahns. I had actually done this technique before so was able to jump right into it. I did FINALLY figure out how to use my corner punch properly! I am so used to holding my punches "upside down" that I was never succeeding in punching my corners - so I tried flipping the punch - saw the guidelines and viola - duh!!!!

Finally, our challenge was to keep in mind the "S" curves of the Slalom Course the the Olympics as well as using the Kissing Technique. I don't have any background stamps that are good for this technique anymore; so I used the variation which Beate suggests on her tutorial. I hadn't used glitter all evening, so I decided to add just a tiny bit in each of the panels.


Sunday will bring rest and paper cutting for my workshop on Tuesday.....and a few more puzzle pieces.

Hope your weekend has been wonderful - Thanks for dropping by

1 comment:

marsha said...

Wow, that's quite a bit of work there! Great job.
Hugs, Marsha