Thursday, July 24, 2008

Life is a Challenge.....

....or life is full of Challenges! Wow, it's hard to keep up with all the challenges that are flying on Splitcoast this week. I love it. I haven't done all the current challenges yet, but once a few "necessary" chores are out of the way....BRING IT ON!!!! :)

The first card today is from Julie's "Dare to Get Dirty 08" (DTGD08) which was making a card with mostly white space. I decided to use one of the corner rub-ons and then the card fell into place from there. I used the Stamp-a-ma-jig to line up the two step stamping flowers. I HAD to do a turquoise and black card because I hadn't for a while.

I've noticed over the past number of weeks that I've been using a lot of greens. I've been wanting to pull myself out of that colour rut, and yesterday's DTGD08 from Lauren was perfect. She wanted us to make a monochromatic card, so I picked purples. Christine's DTGD08 was watercolouring so
I encorporated that into this card. I used Heartfelt Thanks and coloured right onto the stamp using the Watercolour Wonder Crayons. Then I spritzed the stamp with water before stamping onto watercolour paper. To create the background I used the aquapainter to pick up colour right off of the crayon to paint with. I'm getting a bit better at watercolour, but I still have a long way to go with a lot more practice!!
I used yesterday's sketch challenge for this card too.

Well, I'm off to Amy's to spend the day putting together swaps for Utah.
Hope your day is full of sunshine....ours is right now!! JOAN

12 comments:

Andrea, said...

2 fabulous cards, the purple flowers are so pretty

Nikki Fairbairn said...

Hi Joan, 2 beautiful cards such pretty colours you have used. Hugs Nikki x

dpkennedy said...

So pretty Joan! The b/w and turquoise is striking yet simple and your watercolored card is gorgeous!

Lee said...

Awesome challenge cards!! Isn't this week just a total BLAST!!!?? LOL I love that white space card.....your design is gorgeous!!! And your watercoloring is beautiful!!! Have fun!!!

Alex said...

Both of these are fabulous Joan - but that first one grabs me with those gorgeous colors, wow!! Just great cards! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Kimberly Gajewski said...

What lovely cards Joan! I think that this week has been one of the craziest weeks of my life...I'm glad that you were able to squeeze in some of the challenges because I certainly haven't...ugh! :D

Anonymous said...

Love both of your cards! Aren't all these challenges fun!! Great job on embracing the white space. Your watercoloring is gorgeous.

Donna Baker said...

both cards are pretty, I love the purple flowers on the 2nd one-so soft & lovely

Antje said...

both cards are beautiful, specially the blue withe the partly circel is stunning!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous card for the embrace the white space challenge. I'd say you hit it on the nose. Turquoise and black are awesome together.

Karen Gladney said...

Great card Joan. Love the colors and what a way to rise to the dirty challenge. You go girl.

The package is in the mail

Hugs

Heather said...

Great cards. I especially love the "mostly white" one.